Interested in becoming a volunteer? Extend-A-Family Waterloo Region is always looking for people who are interested in community inclusion, having fun, and making friends.
Volunteer applicants will be required to provide proof of approved COVID-19 vaccination and commit to maintaining vaccination status in good standing as a condition of their volunteer work. Alternatively, new volunteers may adequately demonstrate the need for accommodation based on recognized human rights grounds.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
AirBnB Respite Opportunity
Extend-A-Family Waterloo Region (EAFWR) is piloting an exciting new option to provide companionship and personal support for adults living with a disability, at a comfortable home-away-from-home – a mini-vacation for both of you! Unlike traditional Respite requirements, this opportunity does NOT require volunteers to use their private home in order to participate.
Catch a show, explore the nearby walking trails, binge a series you both love – Respite is all about relaxing, getting to know each other, and having fun together. Everyone sparkles in their own way, and we want you to help someone shine.
Opportunities are flexible, but tend to range from single weekends to 7 days based on the individual needs and interests of the person you are staying with. All positions require a commitment to overnight stays.
Matches are arranged based on schedule, personal compatibility, and the needs of the individual supported. Meet someone new today – and by your second stay, you’ll be catching up with an old friend.
FamilyHome/Respite Provider Opportunities
Do you have a willingness to open your home every now and then? Officially, Respite support provides individuals and their families with short breaks. But really, it’s about building a relationship with someone new and having experiences together that are truly fulfilling for everyone.
If you are interested in one of our volunteer opportunities please fill out our Volunteer Application Form.
Volunteer Application and Screening Process
- To apply online please click here.
- To apply in person please bring to our office your cover letter, resume and a filled out copy of the following Volunteer Application & Availability Form.
- If selected for an interview your will receive a call from the Recruitment and Volunteer Coordinator.
- Upon a successful interview, you will be invited to attend a Volunteer activation meeting. This meeting will be your orientation to Extend-A-Family. It is also the opportunity to show your dedication by submitting all required screening documents.
- You will be considered a hired and active volunteer, only after you have complied with all of the above steps and Volunteer Screening Requirements.
- Your references can submit their recommendation online through the Online Reference Inquiry Form or print and complete a hardcopy of the Volunteer Reference Inquiry.
If you would like more information about volunteering with Extend-A-Family Waterloo Region, please call Michelle Scala, Recruitment and Volunteer Coordinator at 519-741-0190 x 253 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org