Information for Families Who Receive SSAH for Adults
The Ministry of Community & Social Services has advised that the SSAH Program for Adults will end on March 31, 2012.
Effective April 1, 2012, funding for the SSAH Program for adults will be transferred to the Passport Program.
Other changes include:
- The passing of the new Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act was passed in 2008
- Families with children with a developmental disability now deal with two Ministries. Until age 18, the Ministry of Children and Youth Services(MCYS) and after 18 the Ministry of Community and Social Services(MCSS)
- July 2011, Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) came into being as the single point of access for adult developmental services.
- The DSO will be the liaison for the Passport Program. (This role was formerly held by Developmental Services Resource (Access) Centre, DSRC.)
- In 2000 EAF was selected as the sole provider for SSAH (for both children and adults) for the Region of Waterloo
- EAF received Ministry funding to support families in relation to recruiting, training, tracking, matching, paying of their SSAH workers etc. As of April 1, 2012, EAF will no longer receive this funding. Only Trellis in Guelph and EAF received this funding. No other families were supported in this way.
What your current SSAH funding pays for:
- Your worker's wages
- Expenses related to your worker (i.e. mileage)
- Employer's share of mandatory deductions including CPP, EI and WSIB
What EAF pays for with Ministry funding:
- Expenses related to staff time dedicated to recruitment, training, payroll, coordinating, screening
- Costs related to supplies, accounting, postage, website etc.
What we know as of today :
- Ministry of Community & Social Services has advised that the SSAH Program for adults will end March 31, 2012
- Effective April 1, 2012 - Funding for SSAH Program will be transferred to the Passport Program
- YOUR FUNDING WILL CONTINUE AND WILL NOT CHANGe FOR THE 2012-13 FUNDING YEAR
- If you are receiving both SSAH and Passport funding, they will be combined and now be Passport funding.
- There will, for this year, be two streams of Passport. Funds currently received under Passport (prior to April 1, 2012) will continue to fall under the current Passport Guidelines.
- The Passport funding (which was formerly SSAH funding)vwill continue for this year to follow the SSAH guidelines.
- Thus if today you receive $5,000 under Passport and $2,000 under SSAH, even though starting April l, 2012 they will both be called Passport, they will continue under their current guidelines until the final Passport Guidelines are in place
Prior to April 1, 2012, Extend-A-Family has decisions to make and things to consider:
- Funding for Passport will not include the previous funding that was allocated to the SSAH Program to support EAF's running of the program
- Financial/staffing impact on the agency
- The family completed survey indicated that families would like EAF to continue the services offered previously through SSAH, via the Passport Program
- Therefore EAF has further developed its program offering for Passport through ProgramPLUS
Families will also have decisions to make about whether to:
- Self-administer (Direct Fund) Passport funding
- Use EAF Services through ProgramPLUS for Passport-managing/tracking funds, contracting, screening, training and paying support workers (similar to their contracts now)
- Re-hire current SSAH worker(s) under Passport, based on a plan for funding
- Choose another agency to hold your funds
Workers have decisions to make as well, whether to:
- Continue with their current family through Passport at EAF, if the family chooses this option
- Pursue other employment opportunities at EAF
- Work independently, i.e. work privately for families
Passport at EAF :
- EAF currently supports 40 individuals through the Passport Program
- Takes a different approach when working with adults
- Reflects the nature of the Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act and emphasizes respect of the rights and responsibilities of adults
- Focuses on community participation, and how individuals are involved as citizens in their own right
Introducing EAF's new ProgramPLUS for Passport:
If families choose to use this service it means we take care of all the details so you don't have to.
- Provide the support and guidance of an experienced SupportCoordinator assigned to you and your family member
- Support your family member in making a plan of how they want to use their Passport funds and what they want to do
- Match, screen, contract, train, pay and support workers so you have the most qualified team working with you
- Manage and track your funds so you can plan effectively
- Make sure prompt bi-weekly reimbursement of invoices, receipts and payment of workers so that budgeting is easier (compared to monthly reimbursements when you self-administer or Direct Fund through the Ministry)
- Make sure government rules, policies, procedures and insurances are followed and in place
Cost for ProgramPLUS services:
- From your funding allocation, there will be a fee for ProgramPLUS for Passport services
- The amount you pay will vary, dependent upon the services provided
- This is a step we are forced to take to continue to offer the services we have in the past
- As a not-for-profit agency, we are committed to keeping the cost to you as low and fair as possible. Our purpose is to cover EAF's costs of providing these services to you
- Currently, EAF is working on the best possible pricing model to ensure affordable, quality support services for individuals and their families
- Established 'base starting level', for one year:
- $18 per hour for worker support
- 6% brokerage fee or invoicing
- May be further variations (dependent on wage rate)
In the meantime, EAF 's next steps:
- Support Coordinators are contacting families and individuals to share information and discuss options and choices
- If you want information sooner rather than later and haven't heard from your Support Coordinator, please contact them directly
- EAF has established a process to assist in the transfer of families choosing to use EAF's ProgramPLUS for Passport